Scholarships and Applications
Gary Babcock Memorial Scholarship
2020 AWARD YEAR
One Scholarship for $2,500
In 2020, The Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists Foundation will grant one award, for the amount of $2,500, as the Gary Babcock Memorial Scholarship to support a graduate study in the Rocky Mountain region. This scholarship is open to graduate students majoring in geoscience studies at any accredited university. This award recognizes excellent in geologic achievement. The Babcock Scholarship was initiated in 2007 in memory of Gary Babcock by his family and by his friends and colleagues at Laramie Energy (now Mesa Energy). Gary is remembered for his excellent work in petroleum exploration and exploitation, as well as for his very positive influence on everyone with whom he came in contact.
Application forms are available under the download button associated with this description, and upon completion can be uploaded to this website.
The following criteria will be used to select a recipient:
- Relevance of the student’s research in Rocky Mountain geology
- Academic achievements
- Faculty references or contacts
An application for the RMAG Foundation Babcock Memorial Scholarship must be submitted electronically and must include:
- A research proposal (two pages or less) supplemented with figures and maps as needed financial support and needs listed, and with a timetable for completion of the research
- A resume with GPA and GRE information
- A schedule for completing stages in and completion of the research
- Recommendation letter from the appropriate faculty advisor
The Trustees of the Foundation will make the final selection.
Application Deadline is January 10, 2020
The recipient, with one other person selected by the recipient, will be guests of the Foundation at a monthly luncheon meeting of the Rocky Mountain Association of Geologist in April, 2020. A short presentation will be made to the recipient during the meeting. The RMAG Foundation is unable to pay for transportation or accommodation costs for awardees to attend the luncheon.