Scholarships and Applications
Michael S. Johnson Scholarship
2020 AWARD YEAR
One Scholarship for $3,000
In 2020, The Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists Foundation will grant one award for, for the amount of $3,000, to a graduate student undertaking geoscience research in the states of CO, ND, SD, MT, WY, NE, and UT. Students do not have to reside in one of those states. The scholarship is founded on a generous gift to the Foundation by Michael S. Johnson, a well-known and long-time geologist in the Denver area, who is active professionally both in the Rocky Mountains and internationally.
The RMAG Foundation will use the following criteria to select a recipient:
- Relevance of the student’s research to Middle and Northern Rocky Mountains geology
- Academic achievements
- Economic need
- Faculty references or contacts
Applications for the RMAG Foundation Graduate Student Award must be submitted electronically and must include:
- A thesis proposal (two pages or less) with financial support and needs listed
- A resume with GPA and GRE information
- A schedule for completing stages in, and completion of the research
- Recommendation letter from appropriate faculty advisor
Trustees of the Foundation will make the final selection.
Application deadline is January 10, 2020
The recipient and one other person selected by the recipient, will be guests of the Foundation at a monthly luncheon meeting of the Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists in April 2020. A short presentation will be made to the recipient during the meeting. The RMAG Foundation is unable to pay for transportation or accommodation costs to attend the luncheon meeting.