Scholarships and Applications
Philip J. McKenna Memorial Scholarship for rising senior geology majors at Colorado College
2021 Award Year
Two scholarships, each for $5,000
In 2021, 2 $5000 awards will be given to a Colorado College geology major to support geologic studies in the Rocky Mountain regions and to reward excellence in geologic achievement. This scholarship was established by Don and Elizabeth McKenna in honor of their father and husband respectively and remains as the only scholarship managed by the RMAG Foundation that is given only to undergraduate students. Philip McKenna was a geology major at Colorado College, served as President of RMAG in 1984, and was named the Outstanding Explorer by RMAG in 1991.
The following criteria will be used to select the two recipients from Colorado College:
- Relevance of the students’ research to Rocky Mountain geology
- Academic achievements
- Faculty references or contacts
Application for the RMAG Foundation student award must include:
- A resume with GPA information
- A senior thesis proposal (two or fewer pages) supplemented with figures and map as needed
- A list of financial support and research needs, as well as a time table for completing the research
- A letter of recommendation from an appropriate faculty advisor
Complete applications are due by February 12, 2021, and must be submitted electronically to the rmagfoundation.org. A review panel designated by the Foundation will evaluate proposals, and the Foundation Trustees will make the award.
At the time of this posting, it appears unlikely that the 2021 awards ceremony, always held in Denver in April, will be a live event. The Foundation Trustees will notify the recipients of the scholarships as to the manner in which they will be recognized.