Scholarships and Applications
Veterans Memorial Scholarship
2020 AWARD YEAR
One Award for $5,000
In 2020, The RMAG Foundation will grant one award, for the amount of $5,000, to a graduate student who is a veteran or current member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. The purpose of the award is to support geologic studies in the Rocky Mountain region and to reward excellence in geologic achievements. The Veterans Memorial Scholarship was initiated in 2007 in memory of service personnel who have sacrificed time and life to preserve freedom in our country. The scholarship has been supported primarily by World War II veterans who are members of the RMAG and their families.
The following criteria will be used by the RMAG Foundation to select recipients:
- Relevance of the student’s research to Rocky Mountain geology
- Academic achievements
- Economic need
- Faculty references or contacts
Applications for the RMAG Foundation Veterans Memorial Scholarships must be submitted electronically and must include:
- A thesis proposal (two pages or less), supplemented by figures or maps if needed, as well as by financial support and needs listed
- A resume with GPA and GRE information
- A schedule for completing the research proposed
- Recommendation letter from appropriate faculty advisor
- Certificate of the applicant’s military service branch, dates of service, and role
The trustees of the Foundation will make the final selection.
Application deadline is January 10, 2020
A recipient, with a spouse, faculty member, or friend, will be guests of the Foundation at a weekly luncheon meeting of the Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists in April 2020. A short presentation will be made to the recipient during the meeting if he or she can attend. The RMAG Foundation is unable to pay for transportation or accommodation costs to attend the luncheon meeting.
Application is closed. Thank you to all who applied.